Barolo Castle, dating back to the early late Middle Ages, became the rural residence of the Falletti Marquises of Barolo, Carlo Tancredi and Giulia Colbert, in the 19th century. Carlo Tancredi Falletti, the last Marquis of Barolo, died in 1838 and left his wife to manage the affairs of the Barolo estate, including winemaking.

In 1970, after a period of inactivity, the castle was purchased by the Municipality of Barolo and the work on its rehabilitation and restoration began.

In 1982, the Regional Enoteca of Barolo is set up in the castle cellars, and in the early 2000s the intention to create a Wine Museum in the castle spaces took place. To this day, the Castle of Barolo is home to WiMu, the Wine Museum, a historical, artistic, and multimedia exhibition space dedicated to wine and wine-making culture.